[PSDR] PRELIMINARY Azimuth radiation patterns published

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Mon Feb 4 01:19:32 PST 2013

I've rigged up a good-enough blend of hardware and software to measure
antenna radiation patterns.  As a test run of the setup I've measured
the azimuth response of the 2 sectors antennas I have in stock here.
Results published on their individual antenna pages:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=ARC+ARC-VS5818SD1&structure=HamWAN
https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Laird+SAH58-120-16-WB&structure=HamWAN

Please heed the published warnings+instructions there.  The environment
is full of reflections and the measurements are wildly inaccurate
because of this, especially at 0 degrees (back turned towards RF
source).  Signals are bouncing off the metal in my patio door.

But despite all the shortcomings of this new system, it does reveal some
interesting things.  For example, I'm willing to bet $100 that the ARC
Wireless antenna will NEVER read as a 120deg sector, even when measured
in proper conditions.  The front lobe is just too damn narrow.  Hell,
it'll have a hard time pretending to be even a 90deg sector!

Manufacturer nonsense like this is why it's so important to measure your
gear before deploying into the real world.

This measurement system can also be used to measure elevation radiation
patterns, and cross polarization.  Hurray for progress! :)

--Bart