[HamWAN PSDR] Outside the 2nd story window

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.net
Fri Mar 21 18:05:05 PDT 2014

Pending a permanent installation, I now have the antenna outside my 2nd
story window (pictures pending), hanging from the 2nd story rain gutter
(plumbing PVC piping/fittings make excellent mounting fixtures!).  This
has resulted in about a 6dB increase in signal strength.  Questions
(from "interface wireless monitor 0"):

 1. "Signal-strength" (I take it this is receive signal strength?)
    typically runs -86dBm to -90dBm; "tx-signal-strength" typically runs
    about 5dB better, although I have seen them the same.  With the same
    radio at both ends (the other end is the DEM at Paine), I would
    think they would usually be the same, except for possible
    reflections, which I would think would be "equal opportunity" in
    occasionally giving a better value to the receive value, but that
    never happens.
 2. What is "current-distance"?  It's showing as "10" or "11". I'm
    exactly 5 miles from the Paine DEM, so I would have thought that
    this might be the round-trip distance, except I would have thought
    that a physical distance would be reported in kilometers (the
    manufacturer being outside of the USA).

Now I do not have to leave the window open ...

-- Dean AE7Q