[HamWAN PSDR] Thanks From RAMROD / RFID Team

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Fri Jul 27 20:10:08 PDT 2018

Tom, Casey & HamWAN,

A quick note to thank HamWAN and all others that had a hand in the Crystal
HamWAN Sector installation, as well as general support of the HamWAN
backbone.

We very successfully used the new sector at Crystal Mountain to support
RAMROD Cycling Event operations in Cayuse Pass yesterday.

Cayuse Pass is, as the name suggests, a pass between various mountains in
Mt Ranier National Park/Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. I generally has
no cell coverage, and until this year, RAMROD used Winlink over HF to move
data.

The connection required an intermediate node at Sunrise Point, which then
had line of sight down a slot in the rock to Cayuse Pass. We used
DynaDish5's for all 3 radios.
We achieved about 3Mbps up and 3Mpbs down.

We ran the following applications over the network at Cayuse.
1. Reporting rider RFID data back to the RAMROD Ops Center/computing system.
2. VoIP phones between Cayuse and the RAMROD Ops Center.
3. Live HD video stream of Cayuse Pass operations which was used in the Ops
Center.

Obviously moving from 300 bps over HF to 3 million bps afforded some
additional applications which were well received by RAMROD organizers.

Here's a map of the RAMROD course.
http://redmondcyclingclub.org/images/ramrod_coursemap_inspiration.jpg

Thanks,
Randy, W3RWN