[HamWAN PSDR] Idea for addressing HTTPS on HamWAN

Steve Stroh steve.stroh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 17:36:50 PDT 2019

I can't speak to the merits of John KX7JM's proposal (but it sounds
ripe for investigation to me).

I've just joined this list, so I haven't seen the previous discussion
making HamWAN not Part 97.

I'd like to throw out, for purposes of discussion, an alternative
approach - request a Special Temporary Authority for "investigating"
the use of https in networks that are to be compliant with Internet
standards and interoperable with the Internet using the Amateur VHF,
UHF, and microwave bands. If it's approved (and if memory serves, they
almost always are, if they're sufficiently bounded; IE not much damage
likely to be caused if the experiment doesn't work) then someone
manages the STA, and as long as your name is listed as one of the
investigators (and it's a formality to add someone), then you're
covered. They get renewed every six months, and sometimes they can run
for years. Eventually you accumulate enough "evidence" supporting, or
disproving, what you're experimenting with, and submit a report, and
usually a recommendation for a rules change.

The rules change requested could be something like:
On Amateur Radio bands > 50 MHz, when using a network that's intended
to be compliant with and interoperable with current Internet
standards, use of Secure Hypertext Protocol (https) is permitted,
provided that the user's intent in using HTTPS is not to obscure
communications. Such usage is typified by a website does not offer the
option of the use of the unencrypted http protocol, only the https
protocol.

That gives the FCC leverage to go after someone they suspect of abuse
by accusing them of intending to obscure communications.

If HamWAN is to be truly useful to served entities in an emergency
(like hospitals, etc.) they're not going to understand why it wouldn't
/ shouldn't work when accessing a website using https (explain this in
excruciating detail).

This proposal would be backed up by listing a number of sites highly
useful to Amateur Radio that you might want to offer only https
access.

This proposed STA might be a great project for HamWAN to apply for a
grant from ARDC to employ some paid legal to form and submit the STA
request to insure that this is done properly so it has a reasonable
change of succeeding.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ