[HamWAN PSDR] Idea for addressing HTTPS on HamWAN - NO-CRYPT

Cory (NQ1E) cory at nq1e.hm
Sat Aug 17 00:28:44 PDT 2019

A transparent proxy is just out of the question.  As HamWAN's license
trustee, I'm not at all comfortable setting up a man-in-the-middle attack
so that secure websites are sent to users in the clear, with or without
their consent.  There would almost certainly be unforeseen ramifications to
that.  Keep in mind that when you view that traffic in the clear, you're
not just seeing the content shown to the user.  You're also seeing things
like session tokens and passwords that would allow you to impersonate that
user.  There are just too many liability traps to fall in when going down
that path.

For those who want help maintaining their compliance, there are two paths
that I believe would be viable...

The first would be to use VNC or any other remote desktop protocol in the
clear to connect to a remote host on the internet.  You can then use the
browser on that host without needing to worry about obscured traffic, since
the resulting display would always be in the clear.

The other option would be to create a custom browser that can be toggled
into a specific part 97 mode.  That mode would enforce specific policies
when communicating, as well as re-enable the option for null ciphers that
have long been removed from modern browsers.

On the other hand, I'm not sure the effort to implement those solutions
would be worthwhile.  The prohibition on obscured content is one of those
necessary things that helps us self-regulate our bands to make sure they're
not taken over by the commercial interests that desperately want them.
However, we're in a bit of a special case here because of the
packet-switched nature of our network.  Unlike in other data modes, the
user who occasionally sends obscured traffic isn't preventing anyone else
from using our RF resources unless they start consuming all of our
available bandwidth.  That's why our approach to this problem has always
been very lax.  We make every attempt to comply with the letter of part 97
and help others do the same, but failing that doesn't impact us like it
would on other modes.

Also, web browsing is not the primary purpose of the HamWAN network.  We're
here to provide a reliable and well engineered backbone to connect
ham-based services and users.  Things like repeater linking, VoIP calling,
remote video feeds, APRS-IS, winlink servers, and more do not require
obscured traffic.  If you also need to provide emergency internet access to
someone's browser, have at it.  However, web traffic to internet sites
should not be your primary use-case for being on HamWAN.