[HamWAN PSDR] HamWan Assistance

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Feb 8 16:43:50 PST 2019

Moving PSDR to BCC so as to avoid spamming every with details, and
adding netops at .

Hi Howard,

I looked at the peaks and geography, and it looks like the easiest thing
would be to link KO with Boistfort Peak (46.487922°, -123.214374°).  KO
can then in turn link with Holy Cross.  And Holy Cross can redistribute
down to South Bend area.  Looks like Sectors 2 & 3 would be appropriate
for Holy Cross (bearing 120 + 240 degrees), and sectors 1 & 3 would be
appropriate for KO Peak (bearing 0 and 240 degrees).

Whole backbone should be 4 2ft RB921 modems, with 4 sectors for access.
Your EOC would just need an RB912 dish (not RB921).  A couple routers
would also be needed to tie everything together at each site, with
probably an extra router @ the EOC for local access.  You are correct
about the cable requirements just being CAT5.  We use Ubiquiti Tough
Cable Pro (TC-PRO) available here:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008L143VW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1549672653&sr=8-1
.  It's a shielded cable, so it also needs shielded ends (TC-CON):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009XE6JY0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1549672740&sr=8-1
.

Sadly this topology doesn't have any redundancy, so any link failure
will knock you offline.  We can work to setup some redundancies in the
future, but hope this is OK for now.

Is your club / EOC / etc wanting to foot the bill for this network
expansion, or is that something you're needing HamWAN to cover?

Do you have climbers available to go and deploy / maintain things, or do
you need HamWAN crew hours?

This is all contingent on Boistfort having space for another antenna.
We can work out a bill of materials once we've established a clearer
picture of what's desired here.

Thanks!

--Bart