[HamWAN PSDR] Replacing Metal5SHPn modem?

Rod Johnson we7x at aol.com
Mon Mar 4 15:50:56 PST 2019

I have a spare 'Metal 5SHPn' modem, and I am considering replacing the suspect one on my tower. This spare is the original modem that was on my roof, to relay from Baldi to the tower which is part way up the west side of Tiger Mountain.  The HamWan on that tower was deactivated as a result of the group moving to a site on top of the mountain.  The ham who was using that dish and modem pair was also removed from using HamWan , as a result of the move and deactivation of that tower sector.
 I took a lightening hit several years ago, and immediately discovered I was not able to connect to Baldi ( the only possible connection route from my location).  I found the wall wart POE power supply was fried, and I replaced it, but to no avail, and I have always suspected the modem was damaged in the strike.
  I have been off-line for several years. Although I have been told the system sees my dish, I have not been able to connect, and I think it might be an issue with the modem. Can I just plug in the replacement unit, or is there some programming that will need to be done, for it to be recognized.
 Thanks, Rod Johnson
 Mirrormont