[HamWAN PSDR] Any other ideas on how to experiment with hamwan?

Chris Prosser chris at nart.org
Sun Mar 10 10:21:16 PDT 2019

Hi folks,

I was hoping to take some time this summer during my work sabbatical to build a station on hamwan and experiment with it, my idea was to experiment with voice over IP with concurrent downloads/uploads and fq_codel to do traffic shaping and see how a saturated link performed. But I just mapped out my home location and things don't look good.

Here's where I'm at:
47°41′5″ N  122°21′48″ W
270ft

Looking at Gold Mountain:
Distance = 37.889 km (23.543 miles)
     Azimuth, Point 1 to Point 2: 247.21° True
     Azimuth, Point 2 to Point 1: 66.86 ° True

I'm shielded to the south by Queen Anne, to the east by Phinney Ridge, and when I look out towards Gold Mountain all I see are tree tops and one or two roofs. This is from a third-floor balcony in my townhouse, while I could probably get another 10 feet of elevation on my roof, I'm scared to go on the roof and I'm 90% sure that doesn't give me any line of sight.

Am I correct in assuming that I'm pretty much out of luck with my QTH? I'd really prefer to be able to run things from here if at all possible.

But if there isn't a creative solution, it looks like I'm going to have to figure out a portable solution. I came across this post documenting a mobile station that someone had built: https://cdine.org/2017-11-19-portable-hamwan-station/

Would the high power version help with range? it's not clear to me which side tends to be the limiter in HamWan. https://mikrotik.com/product/sxtsq_5_high_power

Then I need to find a place where I can set up within range and not sit in sun the whole day.

Thanks,
Chris

--
  Chris Prosser