[HamWAN PSDR] New client up and running in Mount Vernon

Kenny Richards richark at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:43:47 PDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 8:21 AM Ric Merry <ricmerry at gmail.com> wrote:

1. I have 4 of 5 LED's lit. Should I continue tweaking until I have all 5?

Now that you are able to access the modem via Winbox, you can get a more
fine grain visibility into the signal strength than the LED's provide.
Whether you want to spend the time to further fine tune is a personal
choice, I don't know if you'll ever get all five LED's, but they are not
going to provide the best visibility into the signal strength.

> 2. I didn't know how to stop /ping once I started it. Would it have
> eventually stopped on it's own or?I tried Q to now avail, finally just
> exited out.

control-c

> 3. I read something about POE voltages. Is that something I should be
> concerned with? Mine appears to be at 22.9.

That sounds about right. I think the main concern is when the length of the
CAT5 is out at the limits of PoE and the voltages drop off. Doesn't sound
like that is anything you need to worry about.

> 4. I didn't understand the part about licensing from MikroTIK. As a
> client is this something I need to be concerned with?

Not sure what you are referencing. You purchased a license for the Mikrotik
OS when you bought the modem.

> Any next steps? I'm going to try some Telnet Winlink next, I don't expect
> that to be any challenge at all.

Be sure to stay on top of Mikrotik upgrades, there are important security
fixes pushed out that are important to pick up. This isn't automatic like
Windows. (At least not yet)

thanks,
Kenny