[HamWAN PSDR] optimization first results

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Nov 1 15:36:10 PDT 2019

Yes, much better.  I also noticed a problem on the HamWAN side, where
that sector was configured for only 5MHz service instead of our normal
10MHz.  I've changed the sector config, and you should be getting twice
the bandwidth now.

I tried to run a speed test, but noticed your bandwidth-server was still
set to require authentication, so I've logged into your modem and turned
that off:

[eo at K7ITE-Lookout] > /tool bandwidth-server set authenticate=no

I also noticed you still have an "admin" account.  If it's not properly
password protected, this may be dangerous now that your modem is on the
Internet.  I have left it untouched.

I also noticed you have the "winbox" service running.  This is also
dangerous, as it's full of exploits.  I have left it untouched, but you
should probably disable it.  (/ip service disable winbox)  We should
update the website instructions to disable this by default.

I also noticed your ssh is on port 22.  This will get more hacking
attempts than port 222.  You can change it with /ip service set ssh
port=222.

With the bandwidth-server available on your end, I ran a speed test from
the sector to your modem:

[eo at Lookout-S2] > /tool bandwidth-test 44.25.143.94 duration=30s
direction=transmit
                 status: running
               duration: 29s
             tx-current: 38.4Mbps
   tx-10-second-average: 35.6Mbps
       tx-total-average: 37.5Mbps
            random-data: no
              direction: transmit
                tx-size: 1500
       connection-count: 20
         local-cpu-load: 20%
        remote-cpu-load: 28%

[eo at Lookout-S2] > /tool bandwidth-test 44.25.143.94 duration=30s
direction=receive
                 status: running
               duration: 29s
             rx-current: 40.8Mbps
   rx-10-second-average: 41.7Mbps
       rx-total-average: 35.7Mbps
           lost-packets: 1285
            random-data: no
              direction: receive
                rx-size: 1500
       connection-count: 20
         local-cpu-load: 21%
        remote-cpu-load: 27%

This is the performance you can expect from a 10MHz MIMO link that has
good signal.

The current-distance is reported in km, not miles.  It's not round-trip
distance, just physical distance between the modems. There is a separate
metric for round-trip-time, which is measured in microseconds:
tdma-timing-offset=202.  You can do the speed-of-light math to get a
more precise distance than the 1km granularity reported by the
"current-distance" field.

--Bart