[HamWAN PSDR] Policy routing for dummies

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Nov 7 10:03:37 PST 2019

HamWAN's Open Peering Policy includes Policy Based Routing as part of
the solution:

http://hamwan.org/Labs/Open%20Peering%20Policy.html

Have a read through it, and once you understand it, you can apply the
same PBR ideas just to a different interface (RF link vs VPN tunnel).

The magic decoder ring for packet flow inside RouterOS is that it's just
Linux underneath so you can use the following netfilter diagram:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Netfilter-packet-flow.svg

They also publish RouterOS specific (and re-formatted) diagrams of their
own:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow

But if you stare at both diagrams long enough, you'll realize they're
pretty much identical, despite the different graphical representation.

Good luck!

--Bart