[HamWAN PSDR] Portland uplink node

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Fri Jun 12 21:19:01 PDT 2020

Justin,

First, thank you for offering. You’ve already answered one of our two typical questions with regards to uplink nodes, being is the public internet connectivity good enough to warrant it. The second question, which will end up being the important factor in this case, is what your signal strength and throughput to Larch ends up being. The routing protocols don’t have accomodations for speed, and treats all links equally. Having a poorly performing link participate in the backbone can significantly impact performance for large swathes of the network.

So yes, get connected, enjoy the network, and reach out to netops at hamwan.org <mailto:netops at hamwan.org> when you’re ready, and we’ll take a look and see if it makes sense to configure as an uplink node.

Thanks,
Nigel