[HamWAN PSDR] Grants

Stephen Kangas stephen at kangas.com
Tue Jun 16 22:13:23 PDT 2020

Yes, under the terms of the purchase agreement the purchase price is confidential.  However, the AMPR.org website FAQ gives a clue, in that the average IP address price in 2018 was $17 each, and was trending upward, so by the mid-2019 sale that would imply the 4 million addresses ARDC sold to Amazon might have brought in $68million; one shouldn't be surprised if there was a bulk discount off that, although considering that the IPv4 prices have been trending upward at the time, there arguably might not have been such a discount.

It is highly debatable IMO that those addresses were sold "cheap".  The IPv4 address space has already been depleted, and there is an inexpensive alternative: IPv6.  All new networking equipment and computers for the past decade has been IPv6 ready, which means that there is expected to be early downward pressure on IPv4 addresses over the next few years.  It looks to me that ARDC may have exploited their sale at the right time.  Either way, trying to predict market pricing on nearing the end of life of IPv4 is at least challenging for anyone, and I expect lots of widely varying opinions from observers of that.

There will be a better gauge of that sale revenue when ARDC files their 990 form with the IRS this year, which must be made publicly available at least by request (although they have been posting them on their website).

Stephen W9SK