[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Blyn HamWAN Site REVISION A

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Fri Jun 26 15:59:21 PDT 2020

Likewise - yea

From: PSDR [mailto:psdr-bounces at hamwan.org] On Behalf Of Doug Kingston
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 3:53 PM
To: Puget Sound Data Ring
Subject: Re: [HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Blyn HamWAN Site REVISION A

 I vote Yea.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM Bart Kus <me at bartk.us> wrote:

Hello,

Upon further review of the mounting hardware, I appear to have
"misunderestimated" the required Unistrut.  My original thinking was to
bisect 3 10ft Unistrut sections and use 5ft pieces top+bottom to form
the 3 required dual-offset arms.  I have since studied the Rohn 45G
specs, on page 12 here:

https://www.rohnnet.com/files/45G_90MPH_DWG_0105_ASSYPKG.pdf

The tower is 1.5ft wide, so a 5ft piece of strut would only have 1.75ft
of stick-out at the very end, which would also need to come in a few
inches to hold the 2" mast pipe towards the end.  This is packing things
too tightly.  We need to clear some guy wires up there, and more
separation in general would be better.  Since we need more stick-out, we
can no longer simply bisect the 10ft sections, so the count of required
strut needs to be doubled from 3 to 6 sections.  Furthermore, due to the
longer stick-out and the requirement for microwave gear to be steady and
not wobbly, we need to use more rigid Unistrut.  This is available in
the form of back-to-back welded channels.  At a 2.5ft stick-out for
example, the back-to-back channels exhibit 2.6x more rigidity than
single channels.

I have created a new Blyn spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zUqJWOPQXt4Qv6iYbQs2cHTLbL5NOdQ5ail44FZH3Kw/edit?usp=sharing

Which doubles the Unistrut count and also specifies the more rigid
strut.  The keen-eyed will also notice a change from U-bolts to 1.25"
pipe clamps.  There is no cost difference there.

I am aware of the thread arguing for the removal of a sector from the
site, but I don't think the foundations of the arguments are valid, so
this revised proposal keeps all 3 sectors.

My vote for this revised proposal is: Yea.

--Bart