[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Power backup expansion project

Dale Skyllingstad dskyllingstad at harbornet.com
Fri Feb 5 14:07:29 PST 2021

I agree, this is a great idea.  Bart and I discussed it a little the
other day.  I think our priorities should be the non-commercial/ham
sites that have less reliable generators and therefore a greater
likelihood of extended downtime.  Sites like Bawfaw that have public
safety repeaters have great generator track records and should be at the
bottom of our list, in my opinion.  We may even be able to get away with
smaller capacity units at these sites.

Since we're using an on-line/double conversion UPS, dirty generator
power shouldn't cause a failure.  Earlier this year, my gear at Baldi
failed to come back on generator when my [standard] UPS didn't like the
slow 50-something hertz the Wiztronics generator was producing.  An
on-line unit shouldn't care, within reason.

With the deployment of multiple UPS battery banks now, we should think
about implementing a battery replacement schedule and budget.

Dale
AH6ET