[HamWAN PSDR] Thanks. Maybe I could explore local HamWAN coverage (Was: Need help near Bellingham, WA?)

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. kingsley at loaner.com
Mon Jul 12 14:04:43 PDT 2021

Hey Jesse,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share
your data!

I'm happy to report the guy AARL said to contact
about being tested in Anacortes anticipates
in-person ham license testing will be given for
the first time in a year and a half, this August.

I do appreciate how detailed your hardware
recommendations were.

They're the kind of tips that can save new guys a
lot of time.

You astutely observed that one needs a direct (or
nearly direct) line of sight to a HamWAN node.

Through no fault of yours, that may be my biggest
impediment.

I live in trees!

Evidently lower frequency digital mobile radio
(DMR) can reach a relay on nearby Lookout Mountain
from where I live.

It'd be great if someone already set up a lower
frequency UHF/VHF tree piercing relay to HamWAN
there.

Maybe my contribution could be testing for
connectivity, either directly or through a relay.

I emailed a local ham radio guy about internet
over radio in our wooded neignborhood.

If it would be convenient, comfortable, and all
those good things, feel free to suggest a nice,
cheap and easy gizmo to check for HamWAN
connectivity directly at ~5 GHz here in the trees.

Thanks again,
Kingsley

--
Time is the fire in which we all burn.