[HamWAN PSDR] A non-line of sight connectivity vendor replied

Stephen Kangas stephen at kangas.com
Sat Jul 24 17:37:00 PDT 2021

Hi Kingsley,
Please clarify for me what relevance the comments from your below vendors have to do with 5GHz HamWan.

In case you aren't already aware, I understand that HamWan here in the PNW requires MikroTik equipment because HamWan uses their proprietary (read: not available from anyone else) RF protocol.  Therefore, comments from other manufactures or their vendors about their capabilities should have little relevance.  What should matter is what MikroTik and their experienced installers say about link path interference, and our PNW HamWan install experts say that trees in the LOS path interrupts the signal.  Tests that I and another HamWan buddy of mine have performed with our portable client MikroTik equipment seems to bear that out.  I have a single cedar tree top that used to be in my fixed home QTH path from the Rattlesnake sector 2-3mi away, and moving my fixed client antenna up on a taller mask to clear the tree for direct LOS now makes it possible for me to get acceptable performance for WinLink email and my DMR hotspot.

If I'm missing something here (which I well may be), please inform me.

Stephen W9SK