[HamWAN PSDR] Rattlesnake DNR shack is down

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat Mar 6 09:46:15 PST 2021

Stephen and I went to visit Rattlesnake yesterday to figure out what's
wrong.  The building had power, but the new UPS was powered off.  Its
network control card had a light, indicating it was alive, just no
network to link to.  I pulled the 120V plug, and a relay clicked but UPS
did not change state.  I restored 120V power, and a relay clicked but
UPS did not change state.  I unplugged/replugged the display, and it
flashed all LEDs and went back to indicating off state (no LEDs).
Finally I pressed power button and everything powered back up normally.

I suspected the UPS software had been unintentionally set to stay
powered off after it ran out of battery juice, and then power was
restored.  I checked the settings thoroughly, and everything looks like
it was set to tell the UPS to power back on after it had shut down from
battery exhaustion.  Only a test will verify this is indeed working as
intended though.

I started setting up event notification from the UPS and making sure our
management system can monitor it too, and noticed something really
weird. *The defaults in the UPS software apparently leave a
write-enabled SNMP account with the default credentials of "private",
with access allowed from anywhere (IP 0.0.0.0).* I'm now wondering if
someone intentionally sent an SNMP write command to some OID that told
the UPS to power off?  Does anyone have experience with APC UPSes that
can verify these insane defaults and that there is some OID that can
command the UPS to power off?

SNMP write access has been disabled on both new UPSes now, and firewall
rules installed to prevent general internet access.

--Bart