[HamWAN PSDR] Newbie

Stephen Kangas stephen at kangas.com
Tue Mar 16 12:04:06 PDT 2021

Aaron, of course you’re right that telnet protocol is not encrypted (by international open standard), but use of any encryption for authentication is at best in the grey area of FCC Part 97 regs.  It would seem reasonable that it should be legal, but likely will require future modification of Part 97 to make it so, as the way Part 97 presently reads it does not appear to be to me, but I’m now a lawyer, I just play one on the internet 😃   Meanwhile, since TLS/SSL is used to encrypt the session traffic in addition to authentication, there clearly is a problem there regarding the Winlink connection to CMS; your suggestion of separating authentication from the session traffic in some manner is worth investigating to at least move in the right direction.  But it could be that RMS Relay may be the only way to go, with an interim RMS server in the cloud somewhere to connect to CMS.

I just got back last night from a long weekend camping trip and will find some time this week to do a Wireshark capture of the client side to analyze, as that is a good idea.  Will report back to the group later this week on what I find.

Cheers, Stephen