[HamWAN PSDR] RANCID with mikrotik?

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Fri Mar 18 13:12:34 PDT 2022

While this is OT for this thread, I will respond for the benefit of the rest of the mailing list.

This is not a new vulnerability in MT devices. CVE-2018-14847 is from a few years ago and regarded an issue in the WinBox management interface that allowed for compromise of the modems. While we do recommend keeping your devices up to date, which addresses this vulnerability, HamWAN Network Operations has for several years now blocked the WinBox management port at our internet facing edges to prevent inbound attacks like this.

The rest of the described attack simply uses the router as designed and sets up a NAT rule. There isn’t a new compromise allowing this behavior.

So the standard recommendations of not using the default admin password, and keeping the device up to date are the cures here.

Thanks,
Nigel