[HamWAN PSDR] Intercept a HamWAN Station

Jesse Victors jvictors at jessevictors.com
Mon Apr 17 14:53:31 PDT 2023

I'll give this a shot.

First, I do want to make it clear that HamWAN nodes are in fixed locations. They are attached to buildings or certain locations on mountains. With a short database of the current nodes, and your current GPS locations, you can easily identify the exact azimuth and elevation needed to point your dish at the nearest node.

HamWAN nodes operate on specific frequencies depending on the sector, basically the direction. This ensures that a node with a sector facing south does not interfere with another node with a north-facing sector. So your dish should also be targetting for these specific frequencies in order to identify the HamWAN signal.

In MikroTik gear, you can configure the dish to use the exact frequencies and protocols used by HamWAN. Then, when you get a signal, it'll look pretty much identical to picking up an 802.11 WiFi signal; you'll see the name of the station and the signal strength. Maximizing that signal strength is the key, as the higher signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) means that your dish will be able to distinguish tiny changes to the signal's modulation, which means that those detectable changes can now carry data, which means that you will have a faster link to that other station, a faster link speed.

I would recommend using your laptop to connect to the administrative settings of your dish so that you can view its configuration and see any other stations that it sees. HamWAN uses MikroTik gear, and in MikroTik you can directly log into to your dish using a web browser. Then as I said you can configure your dish to receive HamWAN signals and you can then see the list of stations that it sees, if any.

--
Jesse Victors