[HamWAN PSDR] Buck Mountain upgrade/maintenance

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Tue Aug 1 19:49:56 PDT 2023

Today Kenny and I made a trip up to Buck Mountain for some improvements.

The primary two focus items were to re-purpose the former Buck to Gold PtP
dish from Gold to Camp Murray.  The second RF item was to raise S2 a bit on
the structure to improve signal path.

Some additional signal path maintenance was done.

Even before arriving onsite, the Buck-CampMurray path was close enough to
the Buck-Gold and Gold-CampMurray paths to get the Buck-CampMurray path
"talking" with OSPF active at a measly 6.5Mbps.  After peaking the dish,
that speed went up to 28.8Mbps.   After the other maintenance and some time
to train the signal and settle out, the Buck-CampMurray link runs between
-68 and -72, with a speed of 78-86Mbps.  This is without signal-peaking the
Camp Murray end.  Both ends of that link are running RouterOS 7, and the
Camp Murray end is running a 912 instead of a 921 (for you hardware geeks).

There is still room for improvement at the Camp Murray end, but in truth we
appear to be in a pretty good spot even if we can't get to it for a while!

This now gives the Buck Mountain site two pretty equal link paths to Camp
Murray and Capital Park.

If you have a client that attaches to S2.Buck, check your connection and let
us know how it's going.  We know that one client needed a restart before
reconnecting.

Traffic was UGLY coming back, but a good day's results nevertheless.

Thanks Kenny for putting together the  time, site access, climbing, etc.

Cheers,

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O