[HamWAN PSDR] Site details?

Stephen Kangas stephen at kangas.com
Fri Mar 17 23:00:40 PDT 2023

I ditto the point that you must see line of sight to connect at this 6GHz
connection frequency reliably.  Use a telescope if needed. If you have a
single tree in the way, not worth investing $$ on the equipment. I had to
dodge a single cedar tree.by mounting my dish on a 6ft mast on the
Ridgeline of my house at a single specific location.

IF you're on flat land or a boat on the sea, it's 13mi to rhe Horizon.  If
the Tx antenna is on a tower above ground it helps extend that distance.
If the tower is on a mountain it helps.  Same for Rx antenna.  But you're
talking 28mi, more than twice that flat distance to the horizon. It's
possible, based on relative height AGL on both ends, but if there's no
*VISIBLE* LOS, I would not blindly place my money on that craps table
number no matter what topo RF software says.  The beam width is so wide at
that distance that 30deg variance of the sector node from relative north
bearings is not going to make much difference.  Borrow a telescope and
sight it on a clear day like I did.  Which is another matter, as I've seen
signal degrade with weather just a couple miles away from a sector node,
imagine 28mi with rain.  If you can't see it for the trees, install a tower
and repeat the telescope sighting from its top.  If you still can't see it,
figure out a way for you or the HamWAN folks into installing another sector
node on a hill top closer to you, as everyone wants to expand the network.

Stephen W9SK