[HamWAN PSDR] WADNR and Amateur relationship

Carl Leon carl at n7kuw.com
Fri Mar 24 13:20:16 PDT 2023

And a small, partial, counter.  I personally know and have worked with one amateur who has had a DNR lease for decades. His lease DID specify all of the requirements (quantity and location of antennas, number of transmitters, allowed floor space etc.), and he DID receive notification of fees owed to DNR. His equipment did undergo periodic site inspections by DNR over the years – it was no surprise that they inspect to validate lease compliance. And he had leases at more than one DNR location – they all had the same requirements.  I cannot speak for anyone other than this one specific case I have knowledge of, but Stephen’s case is not universally valid either.  Further, my personal experience (granted it was many years ago) with commercial tower sites (other than DNR) is that all of those (and more) are standard requirements and specifications, and are written parts of any lease.  None of those should come as a surprise to occupants of radio sites.

I think more importantly, right now there are a number of people (in the proper positions in various emergency management agencies) who are working this issue. This isn’t going to be resolved overnight, and it is entirely possible it won’t be resolved in favor of the amateur community. But it is being worked, through proper channels, by the proper people to do that.

And finally, WE elect the people who make the laws, and the budgets, and create the fiscal obligations and requirements.  That is OUR channel to work. But again, we need to do that properly and when we meet with a representative, we need to make sure we give them as accurate a picture as possible. It will serve us no purpose if they end up in an embarrassing position.

Please don’t misunderstand, I believe in amateur radio having favorable financial access to desirable locations, and I personally came up operationally short following HamWANs loss of Gold Mountain (among other DNR sites). I’d love to see them go back everyplace they were, and that is part of what is being worked on.

Respectfully,
Carl, N7KUW