[HamWAN PSDR] Kickstarter for video recording of 2019 ARRL and TAPR DCC

Steve Stroh steve.stroh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:00:35 PDT 2019

All:

I recommend this as an effort worthy of contributing to for Amateur
Radio posterity -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hamradio2/2019-tapr-dcc-videos

The ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference (DCC) is not a
hamfest, nor a social event. It's an International, TECHNICAL
conference for digital communications in Amateur Radio. It's a great
conference and I highly recommend attending it even if you have to
travel at some expense. You'll meet a lot of interesting people,
you'll have fascinating conversations that you probably wouldn't ever
have at any other event, and you'll hear it first about interesting
new developments in Amateur Radio digital communications.

The 2019 DCC (https://tapr.org/dcc) will be the 38th consecutive DCC.
This year it will be held in Detroit, Michigan. If you are interested
in attending, Detroit (DTW) is one of the cities with a direct Alaska
Airlines flight from Seattle.

I think it's important that the presentations at the DCC be video
recorded - this is really, really good information, and I've observed
that there's a lot more information conveyed during the presentation
than what's in the formal paper proceedings.

Video recordings of the DCC are not done, nor funded by ARRL, TAPR, or
the conference. The video recordings of the DCC have been an
independent effort, funded independently. In 2018, and again in 2019,
Jason Johnson KC5HW of the Ham Radio 2.0 YouTube channel
(https://www.youtube.com/user/kc5hwb/featured) will be recording the
DCC. In 2018, Jason proved that he was up to the task of recording,
editing, and posting the videos of the DCC
(https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs_Ab58w9LI-p-j9C3uN8TjKh2SeKlIvp).
I think Jason did a great job despite never having done a video
recording project that large before.

So, I'm in on Jason's Kickstarter for the 2019 DCC -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hamradio2/2019-tapr-dcc-videos -
for $100. Jason's Kickstarter goal is to raise $2200 ($716 to date),
which I think is quite reasonable. It takes a LOT of equipment, and a
lot of time to edit this much video.

Jason's Kickstarter ends on September 6, 2019. Please consider
contributing to make the valuable presentations at the DCC widely
available within Amateur Radio.

Please share this, especially with your own endorsement, to other
groups / lists that are relevant to the Digital Communications
Conference.

Thanks,

Steve Stroh N8GNJ

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh at gmail.com