[HamWAN PSDR] Idea for addressing HTTPS on HamWAN

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Fri Aug 16 18:57:50 PDT 2019

On 8/16/19 9:40 PM, Jake Visser wrote:
> Much like HSTS; Expect-CT is starting to be deployed too (this replaces
> certificate pinning).
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Expect-CT
>
> This will prevent users from accessing sites that are signed by a
> certificate that does not appear in the public transparency logs…

>From reading the draft, it looks like adding a root cert will still allow over
riding this.  Is that not what 2.4.1 speaks of in there?  I'll admit I'm not
up on the newest SSL standards.

> The best option – if this is truly to be used for emergency communications
> – is to try the proposed FCC path.

I would say we not try that.  The FCC rules can be interpreted a number of
different ways now, it's likely if we ask for clarification they may do so in
a way making this all a violation.   Right now the FCC rules are moot on
encryption, the word doesn't appear in part 97 at all.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net