[HamWAN PSDR] Idea for addressing HTTPS on HamWAN - NO-CRYPT

Bryan Fields bryan at bryanfields.net
Sat Aug 17 12:21:49 PDT 2019

On 8/17/19 3:28 AM, Cory (NQ1E) wrote:
> However, web traffic to internet sites
> should not be your primary use-case for being on HamWAN.

This has been the hardest thing to educate people on here in Florida.  This is
really designed to support services, web browsing ain't the use case other
than the occasional use.  It's kinda funny as there's a roving dynadish here
that keeps getting resold to various hams after they each discover it's not a
replacement for their cable modem.   :D

That said we do have one club here that's replaced their clubhouse connection
with hamwan.  90% of it supports remote ham radio operations, the remote
satellite stations and such.  The other 10% is incidental general
web-browsing, and some is SSL.

This is a bit of a moot point as we've been chased down to 5.6 GHz by the
traffic wackers for that sector.

At the end of the day, we have to face the fact that HamWAN isn't going to be
useful for most potential users as they can't understand networking or IP.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net