[HamWAN PSDR] Questions on 44-net ip block allocation

John C. Miller kx7jm at jmit.com
Sat Aug 17 14:30:29 PDT 2019

Our club station has a HamWAN client connection, and we have several servers and devices to which I would like to assign 44-net addresses.   These addresses would need to be routable from the internet and 44-net.  Any networked devices that don't need to be reachable through the internet or 44-net would of course have private nat'ed addresses.

As has been ably expressed on this list, HamWAN supports far more than just web traffic.  :)

A /29 block with 6 usable addresses would probably be too small.  A /28 subnet with 14 usable IP addresses would be a good fit. Anything bigger would be a waste of 44-net ip space.  From reading the HamWAN docs and the wiki.ampr.org web site, any net blocks smaller than /24 should be obtained from a regional coordinator that has one or more multi-user /24 blocks set aside for allocating smaller ip blocks.

Assuming a /28 ip block on 44-net is allocated:  I expect I would need to configure OSPF on the HamWAN modem to advertise routes to the /28 ip block over the wlan1 interface.

Presumably an OSPF password would be needed.  And of course static IPs from the /28 block would need to be assigned to the servers in question.

First: Am I on the right track?

Second: Is HamWAN such a "regional coordinator" (as mentioned on http://wiki.ampr.org/) that can allocate a /28 block for this purpose?

Thanks very much -

John kx7jm