[HamWAN PSDR] EmComm 5th Saturday - Seattle ACS

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Sat Mar 30 14:28:23 PDT 2019

Today, Saturday March 30th was a 5th Saturday EmComm exercise across
Washington State.
The Seattle Auxiliary Comm. Service used this to focus on HamWAN
deployments at the Sector level.

As background, The City of Seattle has a very nice EOC in downtown Seattle.
It has two HamWAN dishes on the roof providing redundant HamWAN backbone
connectivity to two different HamWAN cell sites.

Seattle ACS is organized in 6 sectors.
Central West, Central East, North West, North East South West, and South
East.
Each sector establishes its own UHF voice net, and operates within the
sector like it were a small town.  Radio amateurs are dispersed at their
homes, or in community emergency hubs (Parks/Community Centers).

Today we fielded HamWAN at 5 of the 6 sectors, some using permanently
installed HamWAN clients at amateur's homes, and other using field
deployable tripods and radios in parks.
Each Sector net maintained voice and Winlink connectivity with Seattle EOC,
and in turn Seattle EOC maintains communications with King County and the
State EOC.

We also deployed HamWAN VoIP Phones, and were able to call between the EOC
and Sectors by dialing 4 digit extension numbers on the phone. Winlink
Telnet over HamWAN is extremely fast. In previous events we have congested
our UHF Winllink RMS Gateways. This problem was eliminated with Winlink
over Telnet. we also tested sending photos over Winlink with the photo
reduced to 100kB size.

Randy, W3RWN
Seattle