[HamWAN PSDR] HamWan 900 MHz

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu May 23 10:16:34 PDT 2019

Another thing to mention about 900MHz usage is that it's very close to
really powerful paging / cell systems.  We had to use an 8-cavity
super-narrow bandpass filter to make the 900MHz installation @ Gold Mtn
work.  The initial deploy didn't use said filter, and the adjacent QRM
was so bad that I couldn't even connect to the AP from the base of the
tower!  I have several more filters in stock to support any possible
future site deployments.

In my surveys, I haven't observed the high in-band noise floor that
others are reporting.

Due to the lower gain and directivity of 900MHz antennas, the signal
levels are low, and higher power would be useful.  Sadly, 900MHz
bidirectional amplifiers are still prohibitively expensive.  If I recall
correctly, the math models I did for 900MHz mobile coverage required
something like 500W peak amplifier performance to get decent data rates.

Sad to hear about the EOL of the 9HPn.  :(  In light of that news, it
probably makes sense to re-work that system with available gear, such as
UBNT.

--Bart