[HamWAN PSDR] 1/2" Outdoor UV Protected CAT 5e

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Mon Sep 2 14:11:10 PDT 2019

On 9/2/19 1:42 AM, Chris Icide wrote:
> For anyone who isn't familiar with coaxial cable grounds for tower mounted
> cables, I put together a little album of images from putting one together
> on 7/8 helaix style cable.  you can find it here https://imgur.com/a/F2x9Ieh

Cool!   Couple things, turn the load bar till it breaks the slot for the
driver and try not to use a female connector on the cable, a male is much
harder to damage.  A NF-NF bullet can be used and then if the tower monkey
breaks it, you can replace the bullet vs. having to replace the connector at
height.

I used a 7/8" one of these and some braided tinned copper as "fill" to ground
10 runs of shielded cat5 at one of our sites.  Wrap the braid around the first
cable, then add the second, wrap it around again, and so on.  This makes it
thick enough to attach to and gives great conductivity to ground.  Ensure you
put butyl wrap around each individual cable end to seal it up too.

We do this at the top of the tower and then at the entrance.  We've yet to
lose a radio to lightning, even after numerous direct strikes on the site.

73's
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice