[HamWAN PSDR] SOLVED: Ups and Downs

David C. Jenner djenner8 at mac.com
Mon Jun 1 10:42:27 PDT 2020

Thanks to those who told me how to check out my radio/dish.  It was
fine.  Problem had to be before radio or after radio.  It was after, on
my site.  Unless you are really interested, you can stop reading now.

My dish/radio is on my pumphouse with a clear view to Buck Mtn, 800 feet
from the shop with router in "Internet Central."  To get from pumphouse
to shop, I choose to use an old underground telephone line that was
installed 35 years ago, and I installed VDSL on it.  It's underground
except for one 20-30 foot segment that crosses a driveway.  It runs a
couple of feet away from an old, high pressure, sodium vapor "barn
lamp."  The lamp is starting to fail (it's also probably 35 years old).
The lamp goes on automatically during the time period I was having
downs/ups on Buck HamWAN.

The VDSL line is zippy, running at at least 100Mbps, but is apparently
sensitive to fluctuations in lamp as it flickers.  The telephone line is
twisted pair and it's shielded, but apparently not up to the noise
created nearby by the lamp.

I've been meaning to replace that lamp for some time now, and I need to
bury the last segment of the telephone line.

73,
Dave
K7DCJ