[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: New cabling evaluation samples

Dale Skyllingstad dskyllingstad at harbornet.com
Sun Feb 7 14:24:41 PST 2021

I think once we decide on which to use, we'll purchase multiple rolls of the one we choose.In reply to Rob's other message, I think any install or replacement going forward should use cable with waterproof tape.  According to the manufacturer, the tape is tougher than the jacket which would buy us more time to arrange a repair if we had another cable hanger failure.  The tape also seals out water when activated, preventing water migration.  It's not that much more expensive, and termination shouldn't be much different than our standard TC-PRO.Bart and I also discussed making site inspection visits before and after winter every year to all our mountain top sites.  That way we catch failures before they propagate to full on replacements like what happened at Capitol.DaleAH6ET
-------- Original message --------From: Rob Salsgiver <rob at nr3o.com> Date: 2/7/21  1:29 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: 'Puget Sound Data Ring' <psdr at hamwan.org> Subject: Re: [HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: New cabling evaluation samples I would suggest doing 2-3 boxes of each, as doing multiple pulls from a single box for a site deploy is a royal pain.  I doubt this will be worse than the cable we already use and the hope is that it will be better, unless there is some reason to suspect the cable and cushions won’t work well together?  Might be worth just getting an install quantity of cushions as well once we know for sure. /2 cents Rob From: PSDR [mailto:psdr-bounces at hamwan.org] On Behalf Of Bart KusSent: Sunday, February 7, 2021 1:18 PMTo: Puget Sound Data RingSubject: [HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: New cabling evaluation samples Hello,As a follow-up to the "Capitol Peak cable system failure" email, here are the samples I would like to order and evaluate for use in all our future deploys:Item DescriptionQtyCostTotalWater blocking CAT6 cable, 1000ft1$199.99$199.99Water blocking CAT5e cable, 1000ft1$158.99$158.99BCU158M7 Multi-Hole Universal Barrel Cushion1$42.50$42.50TOTAL, excluding tax and shipping$401.48I know 500ft spools of the cables are available, but the $/ft there is much worse, and whichever spool we choose will be deployed in the field.  The other spool can be used up for indoor wiring, from surge arresters onwards.--Bart