[HamWAN PSDR] Cell Sites on DNR Towers

carl at n7kuw.com carl at n7kuw.com
Mon Nov 15 13:06:52 PST 2021

Tom,

I was in no way trying to disparage HamWAN, or it’s Board or Netops, all of which I am a supporter.  However, the history of amateur radio and DNR sites, which goes back many years before HamWAN existed, has been a rocky one at times, and nobody can argue that hams (and I am not pointing a finger at any specific person or group) have been problematic with respect to DNR site occupancy over the years.

People today, in trying to identify ways to move forward, do need to keep that history in mind. I know a number of people are working to try and find a resolution to this that can benefit amateur radio going forward. I hope that is successful. Unfortunately, it will take time, and it does not appear that leaving systems installed (even if turned off) is something DNR is willing to consider at the moment. Has anyone approached them with that suggestion – shut the systems down but leave the hardware installed pending some future resolution? That way, possibly, you could avoid having to do re-installations.

Carl, N7KUW