[HamWAN PSDR] HF radiated emissions immunity for Mikrotik gear

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Oct 6 11:45:53 PDT 2022

Hi Levente,

Given the spacing, I suspect all that plastic-encased gear will suffer
crashes or communication dropouts when the HF keys up.  It's also likely
that it's producing detectable RFI in the HF spectrum with such close
proximity.  Not sure if RFI on the RX side is important in your
situation or not.

The first thing likely to break under TX will be your Ethernet links.
They are long conductors which couple well to HF, and their signaling
can be affected by HF frequencies.  At one of our sites, which is
colocated with a medium power FM broadcast station, we had to switch to
fiber to feed the modem with data.  The PoE is thankfully surviving the
FM signal, so we're dual-feeding it with CAT5 for PoE and fiber for
data.  This modem is also built inside a metal enclosure, with SFP and
RJ45 ports available, so it was an easy fix.

In your situation, it sounds like a harder fix, given everything is in
plastic and the sector antennas are integrated with the modems. The
mANT30 should do a good job of rejecting HF though.  It's a waveguide
feed with a subreflector, so there are no exposed dipole elements.  The
waveguide will filter out any HF.  The dish modem should live in a metal
enclosure though.  If it doesn't need to support 5 or 10MHz bandwidths,
then Mikrotik sells 802.11ac modems that are metal enclosed and feature
SFP ports for fiber.  If it does need to support 5 & 10MHz, there are
these metal enclosures that can hold a Mikrotik PCB:

https://rfelements.com/products/enclosures/stationbox-alu/stationbox-s-carrier-class-2

They also have enough room to house some fiber conversion gear.  I'd
suggest the same for the sectors, along with compatible antennas..

Or just key up and see what happens.  :)

--Bart