[HamWAN PSDR] Intercept a HamWAN Station

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Mon Apr 17 14:35:51 PDT 2023

Jerry,

I’ll start you off and if anyone else has more they can chime in.

The best starting point is the Client Node Configuration information on the HamWAN.org website at http://www.hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Client%20Node%20Configuration.html

In truth, the fact that you’re mobile really isn’t any different than setting up a fixed station, other than you have remote aiming capability.  There are two pieces of software that can be used depending on your computer and preferences.

WinBox is a windows application that allows you to work with the configuration and monitoring functions of your dish radio.  You can used it to monitor received SSIDs, signal strength, and once associated with a sector, data throughput and other info.

The other option is SSH, or secure shell.  It is a command-line interface to the radio that gives you the same functions as WinBox, but through the command-line.

Which one you use really comes down to personal preference.

The signal put out from a HamWAN “cell” site is essentially normal WiFi, only the frequencies are in the Ham band.  Once your dish can pick up a signal, it should show a HamWAN SSID and connect automatically.  There’s no pre-setup or account needed to connect.

The biggest challenge for aiming your dish is the same as setting up a fixed station – the aiming itself.  Depending on how fine you aiming is in the X, Y, and Z directions, it’s a matter of “dialing” it in.  If your motorized aiming steps are too “coarse”, you may “jump” right over your ideal bearing.   A broad example of this is if you have 120 steps to cover 360 degrees, then you are moving 3 degrees per step.  A rotator that has 360 steps for a full circle would do better than one with only 120 steps.  Beyond that the challenges are the same.

HamWAN signals are on full time, so there’s no “waiting” for a site to “ping”.

At the moment we have a significant outage that folks are working to resolve.   You should still be able to see and connect to any given site, but traffic isn’t getting out to the greater Internet at the moment.

Good luck with your testing!

Cheers,

Rob