[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: Blyn HamWAN Site

Kenny Richards richark at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:47:54 PDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:52 AM John C. Miller <kx7jm at jmit.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify:  Sector 3 is nominally pointed Southwest / 240 degrees,
> is that correct?

Yes, which would mostly be pointed at the national park.

> I would counter with the following regarding sector 3 on Blyn:
>
> 1) The users that we *would* potentially have in this sector 3 region
> might well be the ones who have the fewest (or no) other connectivity
> options.  They also might be the most isolated in certain types of
> disasters, which would only amplify the usefulness and public service
> dimension of providing this coverage.

Except the area is densely forested, making the ability to establish a
connection for a remote user even more unlikely. The DMR repeater being
installed would be a much better option for someone trying to communicate
out of the area.

> 2) The incremental cost in terms of time and $$$ to add that third
> sector,  versus just deploying 2 sectors, mitigates in favor of deploying
> Sector 3 now.

It isn't a cost factor, but an additional RF noise source being added to a
pretty confined structure. (ie. reducing the effectiveness of the other
radios) The plan is to install five radios and while there is a fair amount
of vertical distance, it sounds like the top will be reserved for the PtP
to clear other physical blockers located in the line of sight to
Triangle/SnoDEM. I know this is why we install shields, but they are not
perfect.

I'm not flat out against this, just raising the question.

Thanks
Kenny