[HamWAN PSDR] Coverage Question

Jesse Victors jvictors at jessevictors.com
Fri Nov 19 21:16:10 PST 2021

Hi Richard!

To access HamWAN, you will need a nearly-perfect line of sight to one of the nodes. If you get on your roof with a pair of binoculars, can you see where one of the nodes is? If so, you're good to go. If there's a tree or house in the way, it's likely not going to work, but there is some tolerance so your mileage may vary depending on what's in the way. If its a good line of sight, then your next step would be getting a dish for the frequency. For example, I am using the MikroTik XL HP5, and there's a good list on the website for other similar hardware. You'll need the international edition to use HamWAN frequencies.

HamWAN is actually accessible just with a Technician license. If you want to get into similar modes in the HF bands, which do require a General license, then look up Winlink, VARA HF, JS8, and other digital modes down there. You'll need a dipole, inverted vee, or similar antenna for the 20, 40, or 80-meter bands where those are really popular of course. Let us know how it goes!

Congrats on the license upgrade!

Jesse
KJ7YLS

Sent from ProtonMail mobile