[HamWAN PSDR] stream.westin.hamwan.net got an upgrade

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Dec 21 01:36:44 PST 2022

Hello,

Our video streaming service got completely redesigned and is now
available at the same address as before
(http://stream.westin.hamwan.net/). Some notable improvements:

1) Multi-browser support!  The old design would only run on Chrome. This
redesign should be compatible with all modern browsers, including those
on mobile devices.  Please let me know what doesn't work, as I'm sure
there are some combinations of tech that fail.

2) Audio support!  Where the cameras have capabilities, audio is being
streamed along with the video.  Cameras that don't have microphones
stream silent audio.  The mic on ptz.haystack appears to be broken as
it's buzzing.

3) Better reliability!  The new implementation responds to stream /
connectivity errors in real-time.  The old implementation would wait an
hour or more before doing self-heal and bringing video back online.  The
javascript video player is also resilient to brief problems.  It stalls
for a bit and then skips forward in time after the problems are gone,
all automatically.

And just like the old site, all of this is happening without any
transcoding that can degrade quality.  What you see are the raw camera
feeds.  The lack of transcoding also means low CPU load, so we can add
many more cameras here.

Please give this new system a whirl and let me know if there are any
problems or missing features that the old system had which are important
still.

Thanks,

--Bart